Dr. Ronald Kline
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Professor Kline attended Johns Hopkins University where he received his B.E.S., M.S.E. and Ph.D degrees in Mechanics and Materials Science. Before entering academia, he was employed by General Dynamics and the General Motors Research Laboratory as a senior research scientist. He then joined the faculty of the School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering of the University of Oklahoma and the Department of Mechanical Engineering of San Diego State University where he is currently appointed as a Professor and the Director of the San Diego Center for Materials Research. His research interests include wave propagation in anisotropic media, nondestructive evaluation, acoustic topography and non intrusive inspection applications to homeland security.
US. ARMY, General Dynamics, NASA, NRL, SPAWAR,ERI, various industrial sponsors
10 Representative Publications
1. “Non-Invasive Means of Detection of Border Trafficking Tunnels” w P. Kani,in
Review of Progress in QNDE, July, 2012, pp1385 – 1393.
2. Real Time Monitoring of Electroless Nickel Plating w A. Rains in Review of Progress in QNDE, July, 2012 pp1441 – 1446..
3. “The Synthetic Apeture Focusing Technique- A state of the Art Review” w C. Engstrand, Materials Evaluation, Vol66, Number 4, April 2008, pp 407-413.
4.System for nondestructively determining composite material parameters, U.S. Patent No. 5,031,457.
5.An Automated, Ultrasonic Method for Determining Orientation in Anisotropic Media, ( with J. B. Deaton and R. S. Gilmore ) U S Patent Number 5955671 9/21/1999
6. “Diffusion Based Thermal Tomography” w. V. Bakirov, J. of Heat Transfer, November 2005 -- Volume 127, Issue 11, pp. 1276-1279
7.Book: R. A. Kline, Nondestructive Characterization of Composite Media, Technomic Publishing Co., (1992).
8. Simultaneous Determination of Orientation and Thickness in Anisotropic Media”( with J. Deaton and D. Howard) in Review of Progress in QNDE, ed D. Thompson and D. Chimenti pp. 1673– 1680.
9. Nondestructive Method for Determining Elastic Moduli of Material (with E. I. Madaras), U.S. Patent No. 5,115,673.
10. “Multiparameter Lamb Wave Tomography” KSME International Journal, 14,1 ( 2000) pp 1-10. (with J. S. Choi)