The Department of Mechanical Engineering is the vibrant home to about 1,200 undergraduate and graduate students, several active and award-winning student clubs and organizations, multiple teaching and research laboratories, internationally-renowned faculty who are dedicated teachers committed to the success of students while leading cutting-edge research in the fields of bioengineering, design, energy, manufacturing, materials, mechatronics, and robotics and control by employing advanced experimental and computational techniques, and dedicated and committed staff.
- Dr. George Youssef, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, has been elected a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Dr. Karen May-Newman, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, has been elected a Fellow of the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES).
- Dr. Eugene Olevsky, Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Dean of the College of Engineering, has been elected to the Georgian National Academy of Sciences
- Dr. Eugene Olevsky has been elected as a Member of the World Academy of Ceramics
- Dr. Asfaw Beyene, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, has received a grant of $754,808 from the Department of Energy in support of the SDSU Industrial Assessment Center.
- Dr. Parag Katira is Lead PI and Dr. George Youssef co-PI on a $1.4M project funded by the Army Research Office to study self assembly of non-equilibrium structures and configurations.
- Dr. George Youssef, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, has received a grant of $798K from the Department of Defense (DoD) to conduct research on Nondestructive Evaluation of 3D Printed Composites using Terahertz Waves in the Experimental Mechanics Laboratory.
- Dr. Amneet Bhalla receives NSF CAREER Award for his proposal entitled, "Consistent Continuum Formulation and Robust Numerical Modeling of Non-Isothermal Phase Changing Multiphase Flows."
- A Senior Design Projects Team won 3 awards at the NASA Lunabotics 2023 competition: 1st Runner Up for the Overall Competition, 1st Place for the Proof of Life award, and 3rd place for the Presentation and Demonstration. The Team was composed of 5 ME and 5 ECE students.
- SDSU Mechanical Engineering Senior Design Project Team "Hot End Aeronautics" won first place in the categories of longest flight and most innovative design in the 3DPAC (3D Printed Aircraft Competition) held at CSU Los Angeles on May 20.
- Scarlett Alexander, BSME/MSME (4+1) student, won the first place award at the 2023 CSU Student Research Symposium held on April 28-29 under the Engineering and Computer Science - Graduate category.