Undergraduate Forms & Handbook

The Master Plan is a summary sheet of course requirements and it provides an advising record for mechanical engineering students. Students are encouraged to see an advisor on a regular basis to:
  • monitor progress toward the degree 
  • ensure taking courses in the proper order
  • make adjustments to individual schedules as appropriate

Students are introduced to the Master Plan for the first time when they take ME 190 (Computer Aided Design). The instructor of ME 190 requires students to send a completed Master Plan electronically to the ME Department Office ([email protected]) before the students are assigned a final grade for the course.

In addition, as part of the ME curriculum students are required to take three professional electives such as, ME 530, ME 552 , ME 580, ME 585, and ME 596. Before students register for these classes, it is recommended they meet with their Faculty Adviser. Meeting with their Faculty Adviser will ensure that students take professional electives that are beneficial to their course of study and career objectives.

DISCLAIMER: Students choosing to graduate based on a certain catalog year are responsible for meeting all graduation requirements for that catalog year.

If your catalog year (i.e. the year of your admission to the SDSU BSME Program) falls prior to 2021-22, please visit the links below:

Failure to keep an updated Master Plan in the ME Department Office (E326) may result in delays in graduation. All course substitutions must be approved by the Department Chair. For general information about advising please check the Office of the Registrar website.

Students may apply for the BS/MS (4+1) Program when they have successfully completed a minimum of 82 units and a maximum of 97 units. These units must count towards one or the other of the two SDSU degree progams (BS or MS) that will ultimately be awarded in the dual degree program.

Completed applications should be submitted to the ME Department Office (E-326).

Download the Application Packet (PDF) 

ME 499 (Special Study) is a course in which you do an independent research project with a tenured/tenure-track Faculty Member. You will be working in the laboratory of the Faculty Member as opposed to taking a lecture. For the list of the faculty members with whom you can work, please visit the ME Faculty Page. You cannot do an independent research project with an ME Lecturer. As part of the ME Curriculum, you are permitted to do one 3-unit ME 499 course. The first step in the process is for you to contact one or more faculty members in the list to discuss the possibility of doing such a project with them. It is, course, best to contact someone who has been an Instructor in a course you have taken and done well.If you are in the BSME with bioengineering emphasis program, the ME 499 independent research project must lie in the bioengineering area. If a faculty member agrees, and you are excited with the project, you will need to fill out the ME 499 Application Form and return to the ME Office. You will be issued a schedule number to enroll in the course after the completed and signed form is submitted to the ME Office.

The Undergraduate Handbook contains important information about the undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering at SDSU. It is expected that you will study this handbook carefully in conjuction with the SDSU general catalog. If there are specific questions that are not addressed in this handbook, on the website, or in the general catalog, please feel free to contact the ME department office. 

2023-2024 Undergraduate Handbook