Dr. Kee Moon
Ph.D., University of Illinois, Chicago
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Mechatronics, Precision Engineering, Machine Design
Dr. Moon received his Ph.D. degree from the University of Illinois, Chicago. Along with being a professor at SDSU, he is also a Deputy Director of the National Science Foundation Engineering Research Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering (CSNE), a partnership with the University of Washington and MIT. His primary research interests are in smart sensor and actuator technology and integrated systems. He has been active for creating new knowledge viavarious inventions including an innovative manufacturing technology of novel 3D organic light emitting diodes (OLED) and organic photovoltaic (PV) cells. His current research activities include the development for ultrasonic recharging technology for implantable medical device as well as brain-computer-interface (BCI) technology. He is the recipient of the 2010 San Diego State University Top 25 Award and 2011 San Diego State University Monty Award. Before joining San Diego State University faculty in August 2005, he was an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Technological University.
NSF, KIAT, San Dieg Foundation, (multiple industrial sponsors)
10 Representative Journal Publications
A. El Desouky, K.S. Moon, S.K. Kassegne, K. Morsi, “Green Compact Temperature Evolution during Current-Activated Tip-Based Sintering (CATS) of Nickel,” Metals, 3(2), 178-187, 2013.
- A. El-Desouky, S.K. Kassegne, K.S. Moon, J. McKittrick, K. Morsi, “Rapid Processing and Characterization of Micro-Scale Functionally Graded Porous Materials, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 213 (8) pp. 1251 – 1257, 2013.
- Kassegne, S., K.S. Moon, P. Marin-Ramos, M. Majzoub, G. Ozturk, K. Desai, M. Parikh, B. Nguyen, A,. Khosla, and P. Chamorro-Posada, “Organic MEMS/NEMS-based High-efficiency 3D ITO-less Flexible Photovoltaic Cells, Journal of Micromech. Microeng., Vol. 22, No. 11, 115015, 2012.
- Patel, M., K.S. Moon, S.K. Kassegne, K. Morsi, “Effect of Current Intensity and Cumulative Exposure Time on the Localized Current Activated Sintering of Titanium Nickelides,” Journal of Materials Science Volume 46, 20, p. 6690-6699, 2011.
- Frank, M., K.S. Moon, S.K. Kassegne, “A PMMA Coated PMN-PT Single Crystal Resonators for Sensing Chemical Agents,” Journal of Smart Materials and Structure, vol. 19, no. 035015, pp 1-12, 2010.
- Mathers, A., K.S. Moon, and J. Yi, “A vibration-based PMN-PT energy harvester,” IEEE Sensors, Journal, vol. 9, no. 7, pp 731-739, 2009.
- Morsi, K., K.S. Moon, S. Kassegne, R. Ugle and E. Villar, "Novel Current-Activated Tip-based Sintering (CATS): Localization of Spark Plasma Sintering," Scripta Materialia, Volume 60, Issue 9, pp. 745-748, 2009.
- Hong, Y.K, K.S. Moon, M. Levy, and R.R. Vanga, “Single-Crystal Film Piezoelectric Sensors, Actuators and Energy Harvesters with Interdigitated Electrodes,” Ferroelectrics, Vol. 342, pp. 1-13, 2006
- Salisbury, E.J., K.V. Domala, K.S. Moon M. H. Miller and J.W. Sutherland, "A 3D Model for Surface Texture in Surface Grinding Part 1: Surface Generation Model" Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Trans. of ASME, Vol. 123, No. 4, pp.576-581, 2001.
Ryu, J. W., D. Gweon, and K. S. Moon, "The Optimal Design of a Flexure Hinge Based XYq Wafer Stage", Precision Engineering, The Journal of theInternational Societies for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 18-28, 1997.